Monday, January 25, 2010

Well, that other one was getting waaaay too long


I believe I'll write about this weekend in a new post. The other was getting far to long.
On Friday I went to school a very tired woman. The night before I had tossed and turned and counted sheep, but could only count, on one hand, the number of hours I had slept. Klaus drove me to school. His work needed him to travel that day, and luckily he was going in the general direction of my school. I was to tired to really feel self-conscious that morning, so I began to sing to myself in the car. Klaus said if I wanted to I could sing louder. I needed no further encouragement. I belted for the next twenty minutes. It was great. He told me I can sing whenever I want to. I don't think he realizes yet what a dangerous statement that was.
School began as normal, with one of my favorite teachers. She's quite and bespectacled and likes to challenge your vocabulary. Unfortunately, it is hard for one to fully enjoy someone else when one is asleep... Woops!
At the 10:30 break I ran to the corner bakery to get a cup of coffee. Germans like their coffee strong, and by strong, I'd say molasses flows faster. I put in ridiculous amounts of sugar and milk, and it was still pretty potent, but I needed energy desperately, so I raised my paraffin-paper cup to the health of my classmates, and kissed the cursed liquid I depended on to get me through the day.
The rest of the school day went by quickly. Then it was over. My third week of school. It's gone so quickly. It seems the harder I try to hold on the faster it slips by.
My host sister Sarah and her boyfriend Chris picked me up from school to take me to Gruene Woche. Gruene Woche is kind of like a farmers market mixed with the 4-H exhibits from the state fair and lots of wine and beer. It's inside of a huge conference building. Every room has a different theme. All the states of Germany have a huge room to display their specialties. Of course there were lots of cheeses,a surplus of sausages, vats of sauerkraut, piles of potatoes and naturally there was beer. I was yet again reminded of why I love this country. There were also rooms dedicated to gardining, organic farming, dairy, foods of the world, and flowers of the world. I have rarely eaten so much cheese in one day. It seemed like at every other corner there was a different cheese sample. If you know me at all, you know I can never turn down a piece of cheese. I tried pesto cheese, chili cheese, Parmesan, Swiss, and a host of others I can't remember. I even tried carrot cheese. No joke. There is such a thing as carrot cheese. FYI, it's not that yummy.
A couple of the states had local singers. These where the Germans you've seen in tourist pictures. They wore leader-hosen, felt hats, and had great beards. They also sang like I feel all people who look like they should be from The Sound of Music sing. They also had a petting zoo like area, and an area where we saw farmers competing for best of show in sheep. All in all, I had quite the spiffy time. I can't imagine not having a good time with my host sister. She's unbelievably nice.
I took the Ring-Bahn back to the house where I had to eat and change into my suit. I had to move very quickly because Sheri wanted us at the theater at 7:30. The entire class was going to see a performance that night. Klaus and Carola drove me. I like it when I get to go places in the car. I feel like it gives me a better chance to get a good look at the city. The theater was located between the Deutscher Dom and Franzoesicher Dom. As I walked on the iced-over sidewalk I enjoyed the sound of my high-heeled boots. I've always enjoyed the sound of walking in heels. It makes me feel important; like the kind of person people say "Yes, madam", "So sorry, did you say you wanted a cream or egg white table cloth?" and "I believe first class is that way." My host mom wouldn't let me wear the black flats I brought with me. She told me it was simply too cold and that I simply must wear her boots. I didn't protest. She was 100% right. It was FREEZING out.
I klickity-klacked confidently into the entry way of the theater where I spotted Sheri, Craig and his two Norwegian friends I had me the day before. They were asking Sheri if there was any possible way someone would switch out tickets so that they could sit together. I said I would. Craig warned me they were cheep tickets. I really didn't think it mattered. Hearing an orchestra is much more important than seeing it. Sheri also agreed to sit with me so that the Norwegian girls could sit with our group. The building was beautiful, I had to ask about four times before I was able to find my seat. I was sitting exactly behind the orchestra. Best trade of my life! I could see everything the musicians were doing; the pages they flipped, the keys they pressed, and the little things they sneak under their chairs hoping no one notices. I looked to see where the group was sitting. The seats were in a corner on the other side of the hall. I have no idea why on earth those seats would have been more expensive than the ones I was seated in. Sheri arrived a couple minutes later. The concert began, and almost immediately my perfect shave from that morning disappeared. Goosebumps raced up my skin as music washed over everything in the hall. It was some of the most moving music I've heard. My heart ached and overflowed with the need for it. I always forget how much I miss playing.
At the intermission I went to the restroom and then ran to find the other students. They were on the other side of the theater, but that didn't matter to me. I needed to talk to someone else about how beautiful what we were witnessing was. I got lost a couple times, but eventually got to the place where my classmates were supposed to be. I walked out and looked around the theater. There they were, all the way across the hall, exactly where I had been sitting about ten minutes prior. I laughed to myself and then cursed my enthusiasm as I heard the music that told us to return to our seats begin. I slid in, panting, next to Craig's friend with about two minutes to spare. She's very sweet. She studied in Craig's hometown, and they became good friends. She came to Berlin just to visit him.
The final act of the concert had a pianist. He wore a long coat and tails. He had a ruddy face and silver hair. As he sat through his rests in the music he swayed with the other musicians. Every piece of him was involved in loving and living what he was doing. My favorite author, Donald Miller, says in his book Blue Like Jazz that sometimes you have to watch someone love something before you can learn to love it too. I think that's so true. Just watching that man loving his music made me appreciate it even more. I thought it was exceptional.
After the concert most of the people planned on going to a club called Matrix. It plays a lot of hip hop apparently. I was mildly interested in attending. We had to rush to a crowded S-bahn and ended up leaving one of our Norwegians behind. At the next station I got off and waited for the next train containing the poor abandoned girl. The majority of the other Americans ran to catch the next train so they could go to the club. It seemed that my mind had been made up for me. I spent the next few hours in quite pleasant company. Craig, the two Norwegian girls and I returned to their hotel room. I went home at about 2:30.
Saturday I went to the first professional soccer game with the majority of my classmates. It was in the old Olympic Stadium. It was AWESOME!!! I think I might be addicted. The atmosphere of the crowd is better than any I've ever experienced in America. I almost froze to death but was saved by a miraculous liquid called Gluewein. Basically it's spiced hot wine. It makes the world a better place. I brought my the blanket my grandma gave me before I left. I think everyone in the stadium was envious of me. For the last half I ran in place, until I could feel my toes again. I was positioned in between Kyle and Molly, both have played soccer and could answer my questions and explain what was going on. Kyle pointed out, about 70 minutes in that Hitler had once stood in that very stadium. For a moment I was chilled, but then the crowd roared again. I looked around, Germany had moved on; the world had moved on. I stood there and felt alone as I glanced into a window of the past. Another roar brought me back to reality. No one had scored yet, and the game was nearing an end. The game ended zero to zero. Kyle told me that means that the away team stays and celebrates the performance of their defense. I think that's really good that they do that. Walking back with the die-hard fans was great. Policemen on Horseback were ready for a row, but as far as I know nothing happened. So passed my first professional soccer game, to put it simply it was flipping phenomenal.
I got back to the apartment and ate the usual spectacular supper my guest mom provides.
The next day I tried a new church. It's international. I really liked it. Every week they pick a language and pair it with English to mix in the service. This weeks was Swedish. I met some really nice Americans who are living Berlin for various reasons. The community at that church is great. I think I'll be returning there.
When I got back we had a late lunch, and then Sarah and Chris came over and we ate rolls and played a weird triangle game. I almost won, but Chris beat me at the last minute.
I made a mixed CD for Klaus that night. He loved the Regina Spektor song. I could not be more positive that I'm living with awesome people. He want's more of my music. I think this could be quite the exchange.
Alrighty my dears, I'm quite sleepy. I hope everything is going great for you. Hugs from Germany!

3 comments:

  1. omg! i'm so jealous that you went to a soccer game! those look like so much fun when they are on tv, and i'm also jealous of that amazing blanket that your grandma gave you :D
    anyways, you continue to have an awesome time in Deutschland! if i ever make it Germany, i'm going to hit up all of these awesome places!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura! I'm so glad you're having a good time! I glad you saw some stereotypical german things, it makes me smile :D

    And I'm glad your cheese fondness has been tended too. It seems like you've stepped up from slinking over to my room and eathing singles from my fridge... [:

    Please continue to have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which Regina Spektor album do you have? I just got Far not too long ago and love/love/love it. I listened to it almost non-stop during my trip to Ethiopia in January and will now always remember the trip when I hear the album. Good times!!!

    ReplyDelete